top of page
  • Writer's pictureSchatz & Stancu

How You Can Avoid Having a Criminal Charge on Your Record

How You Can Avoid Having a Criminal Charge on Your Record

Having charges on your criminal record can have serious negative consequences. These consequences can affect both your daily life and your future. You might struggle to find a job, have a hard time maintaining relationships, and finding an apartment. However, if you have a defense lawyer they can help you remove charges from your record or prevent them altogether.

Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition Program

There are some charges which, by Pennsylvania law, allow for you to have the charges removed from your record in exchange for doing something else; this is often therapeutic or rehabilitative. This is made possible through the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program, or ARD. It allows for charges to be dropped and expunged from your record. The way the ARD works may vary by county, however the program has very specific requirements that you must meet to qualify. As your criminal defense attorney, we will advocate for you if you’re eligible and want to enter the program.


If you already have a criminal charge on your record it may be possible to have it permanently removed, sometimes being treated as though you were never charged, to begin with. Some charges like sexual offenses against a minor will never be removed. The judge has many factors to consider, such as how much the charges hurt your day to day life and ability to make a living. It’s important that your Bucks County criminal defense lawyer is a capable, competent individual who can help you every step of the way.

Juvenile Record Expungement

If you or someone you know has a juvenile criminal record it is possible to have that record expunged under certain circumstances. There are five instances in the state of Pennsylvania which allow for a minor’s record to be expunged. The District Attorney can agree to based on things like age and the nature of the offense. Another way is if six months have passed after agreeing to an informal adjustment with no other charges pending, or if six months have passed since being discharged from a supervised program and no other charges are pending.

Hiring a Good Lawyer

Are you in need of defense lawyers in Bucks County? If so, contact the office of Schatz and Stancu LLP right away. We are here to help members of our communities receive fair judgment, especially if that means fighting to have charges prevented or removed. Call us today or visit our website to learn more about the criminal defense services we can offer you.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page